True Blue

Romy Schneider wore blue shirts in so many films that I have to wonder if it was part of her own style or something that was just popular in the early 1970's.  Of course, a blue shirt is always in style and is a staple of my own wardrobe.  I feel like I'm always on the hunt for the perfect blue shirt and I wish I could find one that looks as soft and luxurious as the one Romy wears in Cesar et Rosalie (above and below), albeit with a slightly smaller collar. I think I might pop over to J.Crew today and look at their options while you enjoy this look at other fans of the blue shirt. 

Romy Schneider in Cesar et Rosalie

Romy Schneider wearing a monogrammed blue shirt in The Things of Life.

Romy Schneider in La Piscine

Carolyn Murphy photographed by Mario Testino for US Vogue July 1999.  Carine Roitfeld styled this shoot and makes me wonder if she was inspired by Romy Schneider as well.

Carine Roitfeld is also a fan of the blue shirt in stripes and solids. 

Carine Roitfeld

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Sofia Coppola in Louis Vuitton 

Sofia Coppola

Sofia Coppola


Ashley Olsen

Paul Newman 

Emmanuelle Alt another French fashion editor with a penchant for blue shirts. 


via The Sartorialist


Lauren Hutton 

Lauren Hutton with Richard Gere in American Gigolo

Johannes Huebl and Olivia Palermo

Johannes Huebl and Olivia Palermo

photo by Mario Testino

Emmanuelle Alt 

Katherine Hepburn

Rosella Jardini in blue shirt and fabulous necklace.  I actually own a very similar necklace and will definitely start pairing it with my blue shirts. 


Alessandra Ambrosio

Reese Witherspoon

via Maison Scotch


I wasn't familiar with Maison Scotch but I will definitely be checking them out now!


via Vogue



via Garance Dore

Giovanna Battaglia shirt detail. 

Giovanna's entire ensemble. 

My favorite blue shirt in I Am Love. 

I love how the necklace sits inside the shirt in I Am Love too. 

via Tommy Ton

Nothing goes with a blue shirt better than Celine!