Not Just Vegetable Soup

title
A number of you have commented that you wouldn’t mind seeing more of what I’m feeding little C. Although I seriously doubt the interest in preparing limited ingredient, zero-seasoned dishes, it is heartening to see such concern in what we put into our little ones. And really, although I was advised otherwise, making your own baby food isn’t as difficult or as complicated as it may at first seem.

After the first months of solids (which shouldn’t really be called solids at all since most of the food is mushed!) I was given the green light for chunkier foods. “Yay!” I thought. Finally some change of pace. I decided to make little C’s very first vegetable soup.

No fixed recipe for this but here is what I did (more or less): I peeled and chopped 1 small carrot, 1 small potato, and added some chopped butternut squash (roughly the same amount as the carrot). Place everything in a saucepan with 1 sprig of parsley (tied in a knot) and a finger-sized rib of celery. Add water until just covered. Bring to a boil and then simmer until vegetables are soft (soft enough to be mashed easily with a fork or baby gums). Add a couple of heaping tablespoons of cooked rice and simmer until heated through. Discard parsley and celery. Allow to cool to a baby-comfortable temperature before serving (you can do this quickly with an ice bath – place some of the soup in a bowl and place the bowl in a bigger bowl with ice water). Depending on the age and teeth-situation of your baby you can mash the veggies roughly or finely with a fork.

The soup is quite versatile in such that you can use whatever vegetables your little one (or you) prefer. If you have frozen pureed veggies that you haven’t used yet you can mix them into this at the last moment. It goes especially well with pureed broccoli (which adds a touch of green and reminds me a bit of minestrone with pesto). You can make this soupier if you wish but I keep it fairly chunky as it acts more like a main meal than an actual soup.

Little C loved this and I think this may become one of her favorites (along with yogurt and avocado)! And, not one to feed people something I wouldn’t eat myself, I had a (very restorative) bowl of this drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper…basic, comforting, and delicious. I’m sure it would be even better with some grated parmesan cheese on top…something that little C will be trying once I get the go-ahead for cheese!

Have I bored you with all this intense blathering about what is essentially some boiled vegetables? But this isn’t just vegetable soup you see…it’s a stepping stone to that meal of foie gras, oysters, and chocolate tart that I promised little C we would have when she becomes a “big girl” ;) All in good time my sweet girl!

p.s. If you haven't already noticed, I've done a little fixing up here :) After 5 years (!!) with the same blogger template, I think we can all agree that some changes were in order. Nothing major league here -- this is still a blogger template (and until I can find a cute html geek who will work for cookies, blogger templates are all I can aspire to) -- but it's nice to have a change of scenery! High time too! :)