Sew Weekly Challenge: That 70's Sew or "A Disco Dame's Romper Refashion"

Rompers are where it is at, ya'll... until that is no longer where it is at.  For the time being, we are going to pretend that rompers will always be in fashion and I have not made something that will be torn apart by Anna Wintour in two months.

Here we have a romper pattern cover from the 1970s, proving that these particular styles do come around once every ten to fifteen years.  I like to think that I am striking while the iron is hot, though I do enjoy the idea that I'll be whipping this baby back out in 2026.


 The pattern I used was a bit more modern than the one seen above: McCalls 6332.  I bought it on a whim, but then I found the perfect fabric...
 
I had this fabulous blue linen skirt in my possession, courtesy of Mama Grand.  I knew it was my romper, looking for a new home. 
  

Finally, after six months of sewing an occasional seam here and there, it was finished:

I had a very limited amount of fabric to work with, so the halter straps have been pieced together.  The pattern called for an exposed zipper down the front.  I completely disregarded this and put a zipper in the side.  I do not want people's first impression of my epic romper to be influenced by a sketchy zipper.


Gimme that night fever, night fever ... I know how to show it.


I LOVE the back.  It scoops down pretty low, so we are going sans bra with this one.  I don't mind - the straps hold everything in their rightful place.  I am a big fan of the huge enormous bow! The shorts are a little shorter than the pattern calls for, but this is due to the limited fabric.  I like the moment when I went to piece it all together and the front short pieces were three inches longer than the back.  Oy vey!


My least favorite part of this outfit might just be those shorts.  I have two large scars on my upper thigh from getting two moles removed, and the length of these shorts shows the scars off pretty well.  Aside from that, I like the way my legs look in this outfit.  And that is saying A LOT.

Overall, I like how it turned out.  When I was trying to finish it up for this challenge, I kept telling myself not to give up on it yet, and I am glad I didn't.  The weather here has been PERFECT lately, so hopefully it sticks around for a few more weeks while I get some miles out of this linen wonder.

This is my real life friend, Stephy.  She was rooting me on from the sidelines during the photo shoot.  She's awesome like that.  Of course, my fabulous photographer is awesome too (yes, I am talking about YOU, you big silly panda).


Tell me, Friends ... have you ever made something that was immediately trendy but maybe didn't have any staying power?  Should I just come to grips with the fact that this pattern might win an ugly pattern contest in the next year?

Let me know - I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!

PS.  Thank you for all of your lovely comments on "Zest for Life."  I sincerely hope each of you is happy in your everyday endeavors, and I so appreciate you being here as a part of mine!

Bloggy hugs all around :)