Sew Weekly Challenge: UFO (Unfinished Object)



It was difficult trying to choose ONE project to finish for this week's challenge. I finally settled on this skirt that I have been carrying around with me forever.  I found it in a fabric box when I worked in a costume shop and once we realized it was a half finished garment, I was allowed to take it home.  It's been travelling with me ever since.

I apologize for the blurriness of the pictures.  It is a floor length skirt with a pink waistband and pockets!  It was obviously a labor of love for someone but after working with it, I completely understand why it never was finished.




I cut off the waistband and areas with the pockets, and feeling confident, began pinning.


By the end, I had gotten rid of the front darts, taken the back darts out and put them back in, readjusted the zipper twice from the actual seam to a random slit I cut in the dress so it would look somewhat straight, re-hemmed, and made a fabric belt that was a near disaster because the fabric was disintegrating in my hands.

The skirt to dress project took about 8 hours.  To me, this is entirely too long for a refashion because I have made clothes from a pattern in less time.  I finally finished it around 10pm last night, and here it is:



I think the fabric is gorgeous, but I am going to have to attack it with fray check when I get home today.  The straps I added help with holding it up and it means I can wear regular undergarments (yay for not having to go strapless)! 

Can you see how crazy this zipper is?  It was practically wrapped around my back before.  This fabric was all over the place on my body!  Taking out the front darts helped, and the belt just helps to accentuate the waist. 


Close up of the bottom - I love color :)


In between getting crazy frustrated with the dress, I went through my items that I received at my clothing swap the night before.  I got some lovely pieces of the clothing, like this mustard tunic:


I loved the color and cut, but there was one minor problem:

One button!


So I went through my stash and found these marbleized shank buttons...and here is the result:



Happy dance!


Did you get any sewing or refashioning done this weekend?  Post your links in the comments!