Hi...

Hi. I know I have been silent for a while. I wish I could tell you that it’s because of a mountain of work that I have to get through (although that is true – this is always a busy time for me because of year-end reviews). I wish I could tell you that the holidays are filling all my free time with errands (although, this too, is true…especially since I decided to make my gifts this year). I even wish I could tell you that I have blogging burn-out (this friends, is absolutely not true – my blog in my happy place, and it is here that I escape when I’m burnt out).

But I have some sad news. My cousin passed away. I guess, there is no graceful, lyrical way to say that…and if there is, I don’t feel like searching for it just now. I debated even posting about it. But to come back here with just another post, gabbing about this or that going into my market basket or coming out of my oven…it just didn’t sit right with me.

As this left its mark on me, it will also leave its mark on this blog. Fancy words escape me now. It was a car accident. He had just turned 18. He was an artist. He liked to wear black. He had a sunny smile and the cheeriest voice. He saw the extraordinary in the ordinary…in things, and as I am only starting to realize in retrospect, in people too. He had curly hair…the blessing/curse of many in my family. He had a twinkle in his eye. He marched to the beat of his own drummer. He had more talent then I ever knew.

He is in a better place now…hopefully with lots of spray paint and unlimited canvases. We, meanwhile, remain, to hold each other tight this Christmas. This Christmas, my longing to be close to family is stronger then ever. They are my comfort. We are our comfort.

I find comfort too in doing what I like doing…cooking and going to the market. So that has not stopped. And I hope to tell you all about that soon enough.

Until then…

Please give someone in your family a hug today. They may need it. And it is the holidays after all…

And M, if this post finds its way through to the divine radar…your manang joey sends you a big hug and wishes you a Merry Christmas!