Adventures on Interstate 55...

Friends, it's been a crazy couple of weeks.  I've been doing some sewing in the downtime between family visits, but most importantly, I've been practicing my knitting...


Knitting and purling like a rock star in my parents' house, and I found out that I can easily knit in the car without getting sick!  This is quite a feat for someone who gets carsick at the drop of a hat.


Heading to visit Rob's parents this past weekend gave me lots of time to knit, until my phone exploded with an alarm while we were on the highway:


...and my first thought was: "The knitting needles to go into the back seat so one doesn't end up in my ribcage if a tornado hits the car."

It was raining so hard that we couldn't see the car in front of us, much less a tornado coming at us. Thankfully, we were able to get off at the next exit and took shelter at a Comfort Suites (I tweeted them a thank you).  Of course, I'm shaking like a damn leaf and trying not to panic, but in my moments of fear, I dropped a ton of stitches in the hotel lobby and ended up frogging the whole thing.  After waiting two hours, we got back on the road and began making our way to Missouri once again.

The storm left behind some beautiful weather, perfect for a county fair and pork butt on a stick.


Food on a stick aside (but seriously, deep fried Snickers are AMAZING), there was much crafting happening while we were there.  I finished two blouses for Rob's niece, Jojo.  Both were made with McCall's 7676, but I eliminated the facings and used bias tape instead.


A blue version made with some larger scraps, complete with criss-crossed straps in the back.


I also refashioned this shirt of my great aunt's...


into this smaller version of adorableness, complete with appliqued embroidered bits from the blouse.  I made a pocket out of the old pocket, and just recut the pieces on the front so I didn't have to recreate buttons or buttonholes.  Easiest refashion ever?  Quite possibly.


I really love the rainbow colors - and the seersucker fabric, too!


Hello applique/plaid matching!


I managed to pick up some goodies for myself while I was at it... I think the antique stores nearby are the best in the whole world.  I found two dress patterns in my size (HOORAY!), and a men's tie pattern that will definitely be made for Papa Grand for Christmas.  It also has a bow tie pattern included, but someone who I co-habitate with does not like wearing bow ties.  


On the way back home, we stopped at an antique mall so I could browse for a half hour, and of course I found a pattern in my size and a 2 yards of fabric.  Total price: $3.00


I usually never browse jewelry, but as I walked past a rack of brooches, I found this delightful bow one and snatched it up for $4.50.


All of the needlework books were in a plastic bag marked $1.  SOLD.


Once I get my skills up to par, I want to make this shell with crocheted trim...


this pleated dress...


and this delicious little cape. 


Friends, what is the best thing you ever ate on a stick??  let me know in the comments - I'll have to hunt things down before all the street festivals end here!

XOXO, Meg

PS.  Thank you for all your kind comments regarding my last post about my brother.  I feel very strongly that suicide needs to be talked about, and people need to know they aren't alone.  I'm sending hugs to all of you that have been touched by such tragic events or those of us who have ever felt depressed or alone; I'm thinking of all of you today.