30:60: Project 8: Nautical Ginger Skirt


Friends, this was originally part of the Red, White, and Blue Sew Weekly Challenge, but I was totally late on my submission for the site, and then I got busy with the cleaning and the packing, so I hope you'll forgive me for just now getting around to posting this.

You're probably saying, "MG. That does NOT look like a scrap.  You are a big liar face."

Ok, so it's not MY scrap, but it was Mama Grand's scrap.  Mama Grand definitely covered a couch with that material and passed it along to Sister Grand #1, who kept that couch until passing it along to Sister Grand #2, who then gave it back to Mama Grand, who covered it in black pleather-ish material (Oh yes, you'll be seeing that soon)... but there were still these blue and white striped pieces from it's first covering.  


 When I saw how large the scrap pieces were, I knew I wanted it to be a fun chevron skirt.  I've had the Colette Ginger skirt pattern in my stash for some time, and it was about time to bust it out and make something fabulous.  I loved the pattern - a breeze to work with, and I love that the pattern piece indicated which way to lay the fabric in order to have beautiful chevrons.  Of course, I only paid so much attention to how I was cutting my pieces... and that definitely led to trouble down the line.


Because I wasn't really thinking ahead to plan my chevron skirt back pieces, I cut the back pieces out completely backwards.  So, no chevrons on the side or back because I hadn't been paying attention.  UGH.  Silly Meg.  I thought a bit and wondered if it would make much difference if I made the center back seam become the side seam, this obtaining my chevron look.

As you can see, it worked out pretty well!  I became a little concerned about the fit though - it feels as though it is pulling tight across my stomach, making my little happy tummy appear A LOT happier than it actually is.  I was sucking my happy tummy in for every single one of these pictures. 

While I love that this skirt turned out beautifully in terms of all the chevrons, I don't know if high-waisted skirts are for me.  The waistband felt a bit bulky, and I think pairing it with this summer sweater tee didn't help the bulk factor.  I think the chevrons drew attention upwards to my waistline a bit, causing me to feel a bit more self conscious about the fit than I might have been otherwise.  I am willing to try this pattern again, though, thanks to all of the lovely encouragement of the fabulous Sew Weekly contributors.  I may try it in a solid color with a waistband facing instead of a waistband.  OR I might use the waistbands and add a full skirt or pencil skirt instead, a la my hero The Dreamstress's suggestion.  I want to emphasize my booty and make my waist look tiny.  I think I may be able to achieve this with a little more work.

Of course, if I wore a darker colored top with this skirt, it might work better as well.  There will be lots of experimenting, both with this pattern and with making this skirt wearable because I LOVE CHEVRONS.  


Friends: high-waisted skirts: love them or hate them?  Or how to style them when you aren't sure where you fall?

Have a fabulous day, all! XOXO