That's Sew Cinematic!





Friends!  The lovely Sarah from Rhinestones and Telephones has most graciously asked me to assist her in co-hosting a filmtastic sew along!  The goal is to create garments inspired by your favourite actors/actresses from film, stage and television. You can create items from every category or only a few - whatever best suits you!   The other fabulous co-hostesses are:

Debi from My Happy Sewing Place

Veronica from Veronica Darling

Solvi from Delfinelise

I have been thinking about this amazing sew along for WEEKS.  I have an entire list of movies and outfits in my planner, and here are some of the things I am planning on making:

FROCKS FROM THE FLICKS:
From Givenchy's iconic black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's, to Marilyn's white halter dress from The Seven Year Itch, to Scarlett's velvet curtain dress from Gone With the Wind, frocks of all styles and eras have left their mark on cinematic history. Whether you are inspired by an icon or simply by a pretty frock only just glimpsed, this is the place to let your dress dreams run wild!
 
The frocks I am looking at?

Ali McGraw's red dress from Love Story, which wasn't one of my favorite movies ever, but I LOVED what she wore.  Every single outfit was effortless but so stunning, and I finally decided on the red dress she wears to meet the parents - eep!  

Image found here

 I'm also planning something from Bewitched, because that was one of my FAVORITE shows growing up!  All images found here, an absolute treasure trove of Bewitched goodies.






TINSELTOWN TOPPERS:
There are so many beautiful blouses and tops that have graced the silver screens, both large and small. Katharine Hepburn's masculine tailored white shirts, which she wore throughout her life, is one that easily springs to my mind. Whether you are inspired by crisp tailoring or flowing lines, toppers of all styles are welcome here.

 One of my favorite movies of all time is It Happened One Night.  Of course I need to make Claudette Colbert's blouse she wears for the majority of the film.  I love the stripes and white collar contrast - it would work so well with some wardrobe pieces I already own.

Image found here

French Kiss is also a favorite.  When I first saw it, and for several years after, I thought Kevin Kline was a French actor ... and in his other movies, he had a really convincing American accent.  I loved Meg Ryan's outfit combinations in the film, and since I am in desperate need of a white shirt in my closet, I thought I might tackle her fabulous button down look from the movie:

Image found here


FEATURE FILM FOUNDATIONS:
From Rizzo's slinky black trousers in Grease to Marsha's fabulous flares in The Brady Bunch, to Joan's sensational pencil skirts in Mad Men, skirts, trousers, capris, and shorts are the way to go here!

Recently, I've come across the BBC show Land Girls on my Netflix instant queue.  I am loving the fashions, especially the overalls.  I would love to have some overalls in my closet for when we are doing some of our more intensive projects (for example, painting the Tardis Bedroom) this spring/summer or running errands around town.

Image found here

Back in the day, my grade school friends and I pretended we were the girls from Now and Then - each of us was assigned a role, and I ended up being Teeny (Thora Birch).  While brainstorming ideas for the sew along, I decided I needed some jean shorts.  I don't wear short shorts, but I could definitely see myself in a longer, more fitted pair.

Image found here


SLIP INTO THE SILVER SCREEN
Elizabeth Taylor cornered the market on slinky sultriness with her simple white slip in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Whether you want to channel your own Inner Liz or mould you figure to a more Lilly Langtry frame of mind, this is the place to sew yourself some small clothes.

In the opening scene of Lost in Translation, Scarlett Johansson is lounging around in her skivvies.  Seeing as that is another great movie in my collection, I thought it might be time to use up some old t-shirts and make some skivvies for myself.

Image found here
 
THE SWEATER GIRL
Nothing says silver screen style quite like the sweater girl. No sweater girl is better remembered than Lana Turner. Whether v-neck, pullover, or cardigan is your style, knitted inspiration can be found here. For those more inclined to sew, how about a Pink Ladies jacket? Let's not forget our headgear, either! Here is the place to show your outerwear!

It should hardly be a surprise that I'm going to be making a cropped jacket a la Amy Pond in Doctor Who.  While mine will not be made of leather, it will definitely be awesome and useful when running around chasing demons and flirting with Van Gogh.

Image found here

THE ABILITY TO ACCESSORIZE
Accessories of all sorts are welcome here! Nifty hats, lacy shawls, beautiful brooches, and natty socks. Whatever puts that finishing touch on your ideal outfit should be shown off here!

If you've ever seen the film Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, there is a fantastic scene where Amy Adams is taking a bubble bath with the most amazing headwrap.  I mean, how adorable is she?!   I must have one and wear it often!

Image found here
Well friends, I hope you'll think about joining us on this fabulous adventure through film fashion!

Head over to Rhinestones and Telephones for the full scoop on this filmtastic extravaganza, as well as buttons to show your participation, and we'll look forward to seeing what you are making soon!

XOXOXOXO, Meg