The "Nothing But Blue Skies" Dress

As I said in my Colette post, I was sick this past weekend and all I felt like doing was sewing.  Sewing relaxes me and let's me focus on something else (rather than, "Where did I get this cold? Do we have enough tissues to last the week?"). 

I had cut out the below pattern six months ago and had actually begun working on it then... 


I stopped pretty quickly when I saw the insanity that was going on with the phalanges:


 

Having to sew these crazy looking things intimidated me so badly that I just stopped working on it altogether.  This past Sunday, I decided to just power on through.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that the dress version did not even call for these little additions!  Since they had held me up for so long and appeared in my mind as a wall, I tackled them and put them on the dress anyway.

Since the dress did not have a very flattering silhouette when finished, my boyfriend suggested I add a fabric belt.  I whipped one up using the belt part of the Colette Crepe pattern and voila!  My blue dress out of a lovely silk jersey...



I would definitely try this pattern again, but probably the bolero or the shorts.  I think this is the only pattern I have that offers those options.  I love that the zipper came out so well and that the phalanges really help make the dress an interesting piece! 


Has any part of a pattern completely intimidated you??