Sew Weekly Challenge: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Since I cannot seem to post the actual picture, here is the link to what I would like to "imitate": corduroy belted trench.

I love this coat and DESPERATELY want it.  I am still listening to that voice in the back of my head that says I am not buying any clothing this year and so I have managed to hold off...but the price keeps dropping...and the colors are soooooo pretty....

but at least I have this to comfort me:




A corduroy trench coat that I managed to snag in a clothing swap two years ago.  I snagged it because I really wanted a long brown coat, a la David Tennant:

 

My goal for this challenge is to make this long, shapeless trench coat into a belted fashion statement.  I think this project may involve some tears and some wine, but I hope to come out victorious in the end!