You Milked the Mare, Right? - Day Five

Awake on Tuesday. We fly back to Dubai at 7pm but at last there's sunshine, blue skies and optimism. We've only got a few hours before we need to leave and spend a lot of it visiting places we've already been: we talk our way into getting access to the top floor of the Hotel Kazakhstan, but can't see much because of smog; we head back to the Church Of Ascension which now glistens like polished treasure; we go to the Botanic Gardens and the whole time we're snapping, snapping, snapping.


The importance of light cannot be underestimated and having paid so much attention to the grey, seeing the difference in the bright blue morning astonishes me. I am similarly surprised when K looks through my photos - which I had largely kept hidden from her for fear of embarrassment - and tells me that my eye for composition is really good. She shows me how the light has changed the appearance of things, how I have taken that into consideration and why my shots impressive. I like this feeling... It's something I could get used to.