Dear Spring: I miss you!

When, oh when, will this awful winter end?!  It is barely creeping out of the 40s here in Chicago, and it gets to be quite the downer.  I want to put away my coats once and for all - they are taking up much needed closet space!

Sewing lately hasn't been extremely exciting, aside from some neat refashions and a summer tunic dress from One Yard Wonders.  I will have to post pictures once my boyfriend's computer stops hating me.  The P.D. needs a few more alterations, but I managed to make it wearable (with a LOT of cleavage showing).  Mostly the sewing going on is just basic mending and repairs.  It is as if winter decides to tear apart my hems and buttons in its attempt to go out with a bang. 

I've also been using this past month as a chance to organize my sewing space.  From my previous posts you can see I was sewing in my boyfriend's guest bathroom.  Sewing while standing = lower back pain.  Dragging a stool into the space really didn't help the situation, so I moved all of my sewing goodies into one corner of my boyfriend's office.  On top of my lovely vintage Singer machine and sewing cabinet sits my Kenmore machine.  My dress form stands at attention beside it, and behind it all is a closet where my fabric is organized (but my bias tape and trims have run amok).  I never really comprehended how many different types of lace trim I had until I managed to gather it all in one place.  Where did it all come from?

The great thing about my new sewing space is that now I can watch television through the one closed French door that my sewing table is against.  I just open the other door for sound to come in, and keep the windows clean on the closed one.  This may sound silly, but I get more done when I can multitask.  (And yes, I call watching TV and sewing multitasking - especially when its GLEE because I sing along at the top of my lungs.  Can we talk about how wonderful Emma Pillsbury's outfits are?!)

So this time away has been used for organizing and assembling, but also repairing and recovering from a less than wonderful winter.  Silly winter - go away.  The first day of summer is right around the corner!