A Yummy Afternoon

One of the best rewards I‘ve gotten from blogging was one that was completely unexpected – all the wonderful friends I’ve made. Whether they are across an ocean and I’ve never met them in person, or live just a couple of streets down from me, whether they also have a food blog, or we simply share the same zeal and appetite for good food, each of these fabulous individuals have somehow become a part of my life. I feel my little world, and my experiences in the kitchen and dining room, have become all the better from the inspiration and encouragement I get fellow bloggers and blogging friends.

Here in Manila, what was started when I tentatively attended my first eyeball, has grown into many gastronomic adventures. One of our latest being a Cooking Party feature in this month’s issue of Yummy Magazine. We each prepared a dish to share (some prepared two!) and squeezed everything into my little flat. After the cameras and lights where packed, we dug into the food and chatted the afternoon away :)

If you want to see what we all whipped up, you can grab a copy of Yummy’s March 2009 issue which is out now. To whet your appetite, here’s what you’ll get:

  • K’s delicious appetizers – an Anchovy Cream Cheese Spread and Bacon & Cheese Dates! – K is a frequent commenter here and on other local blogs, leaving insightful and fun tidbits wherever she visits!
  • Roast Duck with Apples from M – Author of Watergirl and duck roaster extraordinaire!
  • Bacon Mushroom Country Rice Stuffing from I - the mastermind behind Sebastian’s Ice Cream!
  • Marketman’s Crab with Dill Mayonnaise – creator of Market Manila (one of my favourite local blogs!) and the man behind the Best Pig Ever according to Anthony Bourdain!!!
  • S’s Couscous Salad with Seafood and Fresh Mint – the voice behind Tennis and Conversations made a couscous believer out of C with this dish!
  • My Chocolate Orange Cake - adapted from a Nigella recipe...liked by most but please do not feed to orange+chocolate-phobic little brothers!

Thank you to all who made that afternoon so much fun! :)

***Yummy is one of my favourite local food magazines – nice photography and styling, good features, and a clean, modern look that I like. I’ve written for them before and it’s always a pleasure to work with their fun and talented staff. This month they celebrate their 2nd anniversary and I’m glad I was able to celebrate with them in this feature!

On other news: My Mother Earth Bags group has launched a new line of embellished flour sacks! Check them out here! :)