Orecchiette with Pesto and Peas

title
Orecchiette…my absolute favorite pasta shape. Meaning little ears in Italian (ear is orecchio), they catch sauce and filling like a dream. The slightly domed shape traps the sauce and bits, while the uneven texture makes it easy for sauce to cling to its surface. They are thinner in the middle, and thicker towards the rim, giving it an interesting feel when you chew. They even have this way of looking rustic and homemade, even if you’ve just bought it at the store. For me, orecchiette is perfection in a pasta shape.

I keep a bunch of different pastas in our pantry. You never know what noodle will suit the sauce of the moment, or even what "pasta-shape-mood" you’ll be in (yes, there is such a thing…I swear it!). But no matter how big, or small, the stash is, there is always a pack of orecchiette waiting.

And when I made a small batch of pesto, I knew it was the perfect time for it to come out and play.

Since C is not exactly a pesto-loving creature, I’ve made this recipe (if you can call it a recipe, it really is far too simple) for one. If you have a partner who doesn’t like pesto you will appreciate this. Besides, sometimes a girl needs some solo internet-surfing time with just a warm bowl of pesto pasta for company :)

Orecchiette with Pesto and Peas
  • 80 grams orecchiette
  • 2 tablespoons pesto (approximate, depends on your taste)
  • 1/3 cup green peas

- Cook pasta as per package directions in a saucepan of generously salted water.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and place in a bowl.
- While pasta is hot, toss with pesto and peas.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan if desired (I just ate it as is).
- Serves one.

Ok, that really was too simple to be called a recipe. The dish itself is sublime in its simplicity. Pesto and peas go so well together…a symphony in green. I'll maybe try adding some ricotta next time I make this, but I really like it as is. I love having this in a deep bowl, spoon in one hand, eyes glued to the screen, catching up on what all of you have been doing. And may I just reiterate one more time, orecchiette it the perfect pasta for this dish (and for so many others).

O-re-cchie-tte! I even love the way it sounds…saying it makes me feel like a fabulous Italian woman. Try it. We could all use a little “fabulous Italian woman” in us…unless you already are a fabulous Italian woman. In which case…lucky you! Happy weekend to all fabulous women out there…Italian or no…and that means all of us! :)

I am submitting this to Ruth's Presto Pasta Nights...I hope I made it! Check out the delicious pasta dishes from all 16 round ups (so far) at Once Upon A Feast.