Recipe Meme

I have been tagged for the Recipe Meme by Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups. Until now, I haven’t had a chance to fully explore her blog…so thanks Tanna for tagging me and leading me to discover Half Cups…which is great to say the least. Especially the picture of Tanna making bread on a sailboat! Wouldn’t we all want to do that?

Now on with the meme…

From where do you obtain the recipes you prepare?

Everywhere! My cookbooks, food and travel magazines, relatives, friends, and all the amazing food blogs I have come across. In truth, food blogs have exponentially widened my recipe base, and have led to wonderful and happy surprises at the end of recipe hunts. I think food blogs are such a valuable source of recipe ideas because you know there is someone there on the other side who has gone over and tried the recipe…and you get all the feedback and comments to boot! And if you’re unsure of something you can always ask…not so easy doing that to a cookbook. There’s a lot of inspiration to be found out there!

How often do you cook a new recipe?

Not as often as I’d like!

Where do you store your favorite recipes?

I have my favorite recipes marked in my cookbooks, but most are saved in my laptop. More recently, I acquired a little box filled with recipes from friends and relatives during a kitchen-themed bridal shower my maid and matron of honor threw me. My favorite thing about the shower was this box…filled with personal recipes with special notes on each. Some of these recipes I had really been meaning to ask for! Now it sits on a shelf right atop my head at my desk, where I can easily reach for it and riffle through the recipes…just doing that warms my heart :)

How large is your recipe file? Is it organized? If so, how?

My recipes are in no particular order and are absolutely not organized at all. At first this seemed charming…coming across a long forgotten gem was a happy bit of fate. But now that the recipes are growing, they are getting a wee bit out of control and I sometimes end up with tons of recipes and nothing to cook due to sheer confusion! I’m the same with clothes.

What is the oldest recipe in your “to try” pile?

Ooh boy…that’s a toughie. I’ve got a lot. Home made Muesli. Dallaspulla. Adobo. Paella (and I may never get to paella…still trying to convince C that he should be the one to take that on).

Are you ever going to make those recipes in your “to try” pile?

Definitely! Dallaspulla is a must. It’s either make it, or go to Finland…and Finland is, well, a bit of a ways off for me. And although I would love to go back, making the pulla would be easier on my pocket. I have to eventually make my own Adobo. Paella…I’m not too sure…

Do you follow a recipe exactly or modify as you go?

I am a paradox. I like to experiment but I am also very much a safety girl. Usually, the first time I try a recipe I will do it to the letter…then figure out how I want to change it. If a recipe calls for something I don’t like I usually leave it out (hehe). And I have a very bad habit of upping the butter called for in baked goods.

What is the one new recipe that you’re scared to try?

Adobo, because everyone already has a favorite. Paella, because I come from a family of accomplished paella makers…Can’t I just eat theirs and not have to put mine on the line? Turkey, my uncle, the amazing turkey expert, is offering to train me in his turkey-ways…but I have never cooked anything that big!

Tag at least one new food blogger for this meme (“new” as in only been blogging a few months)

Hmmm, as I have been out of commission for a while, I haven’t been able to blog-hop and nose around new blogs as much as I have wanted to.

Tag at least one food blogger you visit but have never interacted with.

Sorry…I usually leave a note when I visit :)

But anyone is free to answer this meme and pass it along…