Sew Weekly: Green or "The Couch of the Irish Dress"

Friends, I am SO EXCITED to have finished this dress!


The fabric alone was insanity to work with - I think two new needles bit the dust on the same seam.  I didn't want to give up because I had a vision of a striped dress in my closet.  I envisioned me strutting around the office and pointing at things grandly.  Ah, Human Resources - the perfect environment for sheath dresses and pencil skirts and a sassy pointer finger.

Did I mention that I made a lining for this monster??  Because I did.  I think it's the first dress I haven't flatlined.  This was so much easier than flatlining and took bulk out of the side seams. 


The cut of the dress turned out perfectly, but there was some definite fine tuning to make it not so boxy.  I needed to make adjustments on the side seams as well as the darts in order to make it more form fitting.  Those darts were the hardest part of the entire dress.



I'm pleased with the back.  I used a grey zipper, because I have probably thirty zippers and none of them were green.  Not a single one!  Another goal for this year is to use the zippers I have for projects and resist buying new as long as possible.


I top-stitched the neckline and around the sleeve openings to trap the lining.  I love top-stitching because I think it adds nice definition to the neckline - you can see the shape much more clearly with that little bit of thread.



The sleeves were pieced together from leftover bits of fabric.  I had enough to cut out the full body of the dress, but not much more.  I compromised with the sleeves because I don't like going sleeveless, and we're not really permitted to be sleeveless in the office.


I LOVE THIS WEATHER.  I've been frolicking in the park in our building almost every day because we are having a streak of warm weather and I am not complaining.  I've been walking home and eating outside and sewing by open windows.  It's been oh-so-delightful.


The weather was so nice on St. Patty's that I ventured out (sober) amongst the (drunken) throngs to observe a Chicago tradition...


...dyeing the river green!  They dump cups of vegetable dye in the river, and no joke, it turns NEON.


After I went home and had a Kahlua smoothie, I noticed the south side was on fire.  Never a dull moment in Chicago, folks!



Friends, how did you celebrate St. Patty's?  Here in Chicago, if you are not Irish by descent, you are considered Chi-Rish on that day of celebration and madness.  I say madness because I definitely saw some street fights while I was out walking (!!!!).  Personally, I like to hide at home and drink with my besties - my blender makes awesome beverages if I am feeling creative.

Have a fantastic day, all!  And don't get in any street fights :)